Benefits of Breastfeeding
Please follow and like us:
There are lots of benefits from breastfeeding for both the baby and for the mother. The following is a list of benefits:
Benefits for the Baby
- It gives a strong boost to a child’s overall immune system.
- Breastfeeding decreases the risk of illnesses such as diarrhoea, vomiting, and ear and throat infections.
- Breast milk has the perfect mixture of proteins, fats and other nutrients required for a baby’s healthy growth.
- It decreases the risk of asthma or allergies later in life.
- It decreases stomach problems like constipation and colic.
- It contains antibodies which help your baby fight against viruses and bacteria.
- It reduces the risk of throat infections, which are caused by poor bottle-feeding hygiene.
- It decreases the risk of obesity both in childhood and later in life.
- It creates a strong bond between mom and baby.
- It decreases the risk of malnutrition as it provides all the nutrients a baby needs for good health.
- It decreases the child’s risk of developing type 2 diabetes later in life.
- It increases the child’s IQ score (according to some studies).
- It helps children to become more mature and assertive and gives them a sense of security later in life.
Benefits for the Mom
- It naturally burns up to 500 calories a day, which helps significantly in losing pregnancy weight.
- Breastfeeding appears to reduce the mother’s risk of developing osteoporosis in later years.
- It can act as a form of birth control.
- It decreases the risk of breast and ovarian cancer.
- It accelerates post-delivery recovery.
- It helps control post-delivery blood loss.
- It helps the mother’s uterus to quickly contract to its pre-pregnancy size.